The First Pitch – A DOUBLE WHAMMYLeave a Comment
Hats off to the Padres for discovering the only way to beat the Cubs two games in a row…play them twice in one day.
TAKE 5 – GAME 2
Padres 1 Cubs 0
1. John Lackey made only one mistake but it was a BIG one. A bomb of a home run on to Waveland by Christian Bethancourt.
2. Jorge Soler had four strikeouts and none larger than the one to close out the eight inning with the the bases loaded.
3. Cubs lose their second game in a row for the first time this season and lose only their second series of the year.
4. Prior to Wednesday’s double-header the Padres were 0-for-10 in series finales.
5. Jason Heyward is still slumping and still looking for his first home run as a Cub.
TAKE 5 – GAME 1
Padres 7 Cubs 4
1. Kyle Hendricks pitched a strong game into the seventh inning giving up 3 runs, 2 earned, while walking one and striking out eight.
2. Third baseman Javier Baez committed two throwing errors.
3. Pedro Strop failed to retire any of the five batters he faced in the seventh inning and was charged with three runs and three hits.
4. The Cubs offense was 3-for-17 with runners in scoring position.
5. Ben Zobrist extended his hitting streak to nine games. He had reached in nine straight plate appearances going back to Sunday before flying out to deep center in the sixth.
May 12, 1970 – Ernie Banks hits his 500th home run at Wrigley Field. Here’s Jack Brickhouse with the call.