Five homers lead to Sunday’s win, an 8-1 record against the Pirates and a 12.5-game lead in the NL Central.
A FAN’S EYE VIEW OF CONTRERAS’ HOME RUN
Cubs catching prospect Willson Contreras homered on the first pitch of his first Major League at-bat, crushing A.J. Schugel’s changeup to dead center field for a two-run shot that put the Cubs up, 6-1, in the sixth.
1. For the second consecutive night, Bryant and Rizzo both homered to help power the Cubs to victory. Sunday, their home runs came in the form of back-to-back blasts in the third inning.
2. Addison Russell capped a four-run 7th inning with a two-run blast.
3. Jason Heyward, Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez each had 3 hits on the night.
4. Kyle Hendricks (5-6) allowed one run over six innings while striking out a career-high 12 batters.
5. Cubs starters have made 22 straight starts with three or fewer earned runs allowed. Their rotation is 14-4 with a 1.76 ERA over that stretch.