THE FIRST PITCH Cubs 8 Giants 1Leave a Comment
An early late night.
Five runs in the second inning and Jake Arrieta on the mound…nuff said.
1. Jason Heyward suffered an injury while making a diving catch of a drive hit by Denard Span and landing hard at the base of the fence in right center. The Cubs are calling it a right torso or abdominal injury for now.
2. Kris Bryant hit a 3-run homer in the second inning.
3. After allowing five runs, the Cubs ran Giants starter Jake Peavy in the second inning. It was the first time since 8/9/2013 and f the fifth time overall that Jake Peavy didn’t record a strikeout in a start.
4. Ben Zobrist and Jorge Soler went back to back in the eighth inning wit Zobrists’ blast landing in McCovey Cove.
5. Kris Bryant was 4-5 with 4 RBI’s, Jorge Soler was 2-4 and Jake Arrieta was Jake Arrieta and is now 8-0
TWO OLD GUYS FAKING IT
Cincinatti second baseman Brandon Phillips noticed Cleveland’s Juan Uribe not playing close attention while standing on second base in between pitches. So he tagged him with an empty glove. Uribe was shocked, worried he’d been caught off the bag. A smile from Phillips let him know it was just a joke, and Uribe grabbed his chest in mock horror.
May 21, 2012 – Colorado Rockies starter Jamie Moyer extends his major league record when he makes his debut at the newly opened Marlins Park, having now pitched in 50 major league ballparks. The 49 year-old southpaw started his career with a victory over the Philadelphia Phillies at Wrigley Field while a member of the Cubs in 1986.