THE FIRST PITCH 27 Wins 9 LossesLeave a Comment
A DAY OFF TO REST AND REFLECT ON THIS INCREDIBLE START.
1. Jake Arrieta has allowed three or fewer runs in each of his last 28 starts, the longest such streak since 1893.
2. Just three teams have won more games than the 2016 Cubs over their first 36 games. Those three teams are the 1984 Tigers (30), the 1939 Yankees (28), and the 1928 Yankees (28). Each of those three teams went on to win the World Series.
3. The Cubs can post a losing record the rest of the way and still win 90 games. In fact, they can go 63-64 over the rest of 2016 and wind up at 90-72.
4. To get to 100 wins for the first time since 1935, the Cubs will need to win at “just” a .575 pace.
5. The Cubs’ incredible run differential of +110 if scaled to a full season would hit +509. The all-time record belongs to those ’39 Yankees, who outscored their opponents by 411 runs.
Since the Cubs are off and you’ve already watched Game of Thrones you may enjoy these three videos, the latter being a 25 minute highlight of a crazy wind blown game at Wrigley that saw the Cubs rally after being down 21-9 in the fifth inning.
Toronto Blue Jays and Texas Rangers slug it out Sunday night.
Dog Day Afternoon
May 17, 1979 – The Philadelphia Phillies defeat the Cubs at Wrigley 23-22.
Dave Kingman hits 3 HR’s and drove in 6 runs and Bill Buckner had 7 RBI’s.
Mike Schmidt hits his 2nd HR of the day to win the game in the 10th off of Cubs’ closer Bruce Sutter.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK AND GET YOUR CUBBY CHUBBY TODAY!